Jun 7, 2007

She: Lemon Bread with cheese filling

So, Mark came home the other day with about two dozen bananas. Who NEEDS that many bananas? I had every intention of making banana cookies and altering my banana bread recipe to a healthier but still moist wheat flour, but those plans didn't come through tonight. Why? Well, Mark made a fabulous goat cheese and mushroom pizza. From scratch. Which is great, except the utensil-part. Here's a run down of my thought process...

Mark is on the couch being a slug (he made dinner so that is his right). I walk into the kitchen and the bowl, cookie pan, and other instruments of baking are all slimed, in the sink. I look at the bananas, know I'll need at least two bowls, and decide that its just not worth it. So I find the one clean bowl we have, look in the fridge, find my lemons, and go to town. I'll leave the recipe at the bottom. While the bread is baking, I clean BOTH dirty bowls and all the utensils, and throw some baking soda in the sink and use my left-over lemon rinds as agents to scour the sink (soda + lemons work really well on grease stains, which were also in abundance since Mark doesn't rinse down the sink either). While I'm doing this, I belt in a loud voice sure to be heard "Gee, it would be SO nice if someone cleaned their OWN bowl and stuff." I am obviously a sensitive, delicate and tactful butterfly of social graces....

Anyhow. The lemon bread didn't dome, but thats because I put a lemon/cream cheese filling in the center. Its still yummy, though.

Lemon Bread:

Mix: 1/2 c soft butter, 1 c sugar. Add 2 eggs, 2 tbs lemon juice, 1-2 tbs lemon peel. Premix dry (1 1/2 c flour, 1 ts baking soda, 1/8 tsp salt) and add to mix. Lastly, mix in 1/2 c milk and put into bread pan.

Lemon Cheese
Mix 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 cup cream cheese with juice and peel of one small lemon. Put into a sandwich bag, cut a corner and squeeze it down the middle of the bread.


Bake in oven 350 F, 40-45 minutes. If you want extra lemon kick (I do), mix 1/2 lemon juice with 2 tsp powder sugar and drip over warm bread. The cheese sinks pretty low, but it does make a very nice compliment to the sweeter bread part. I suppose you could change the ratio of lemon juice in the cheese to keep it lighter. I'll repost if I try this again.

No comments: